Ben, Get Off That Hen : A poem by yours truly, the non-poet.
Little mouse ran out of the house, to find his brother Ben.
When he reached the yard he laughed so hard.
Ben was riding a hen!
Isn’t he CUTE? I’m totally in love with him and will miss him. He belongs to a gal in Colorado who mailed me hair that she brushed off of her own cat over the spring months. It’s so awesome to see this one of a kind mouse outside of my mind’s eye and share it with others.
There are many steps to creating something like this, and, as you can see, at some stages it looks really odd and makes ya wonder if it really will end up cute. The finishing stages when I stitch on the eyes and felt on the other facial features (making it come alive!) is my most favorite part.
These are the steps I took to create this one of a kind cutie:
- I cleaned the cat hair thoroughly but carefully
- felted a mouse shaped form out of core wool
- wet felted a tail and ears out of colored wool
- covered the wool form with the gal’s cat hair
- attached the ears and tail
- stitched on glass bead ‘eyes’
- stitched his little hands together
- felted a little nose and smiling mouse mouth
I put hours into creations like this and I feel that it’s a wonderful way to spend my time. If you’re interested in a custom mouse or other animal for yourself or a loved one, check out this Etsy listing I made using this mouse as my example.